This bonus episode of Startup For The Rest Of Us is from a MicroConf On Air live stream in which Rob interviews Courtland Allen, founder of Indie Hackers, about interviewing 155 startup founders and what he learned from building a community from scratch. It was such a great conversation, I wanted to put it in this podcast feed, so more people can benefit from Courtland’s insight.
The finer points of the episode:
- 6:28 – Why B2C businesses are more attractive, but B2B may be more lucrative
- 11:30 – Competitive advantages that can’t be surmounted by the competition.
- 17:50 – How Courtland jumpstarted the Indie Hackers online community
- 22:46 – Why you can’t just rely on internal motivation to get your startup off the ground
- 25:36 – The common thread Courtland has seen in successful founders
- 30:00 – The truth about how hard you have to work when building a business
- 31:57 – Overcoming imposter syndrome when entering a new industry
Items mentioned in the episode: